I didn’t register that many new gTLDs but still, I ended up being the “victim” of three “epic fail” moments thus far. Ok, the term might be a bit harsh for one of them but for the other two, I don’t think it is.
1) I pre-registered some domains and when you do that, you expect the registrar to snag them for you as soon as the General Availability phase starts. And I mean “soon” as in during the first few seconds. Did that happen? Well… not quite. In my case, the domains in question were still available for hand registration at other registrars minutes after the GA phase started. Under such circumstances, what exactly is the point of pre-registering them?
2) I pre-registered a domain at a bunch of registrars and it ended up being caught by the company I had the lowest expectations from. Ok, I guess it would be a bit harsh to use the term “epic fail” in this case, so let’s just call it a weird surprise.
3) One of the domains I pre-registered was caught by the registrar in question and went to auction. Great, just one problem: I received no emails whatsoever. All of the other emails from the registrar in questions arrived just fine and a while after that incident, I ended up in another auction and this time, the email arrived. I contacted the registrar in question to ask for clarifications, they said the email was sent but I probably didn’t receive it due to a glitch (not sure how they formulated it but it was something along those lines if I’m not mistaken). I then asked them to tell me at precisely what time the email in question was sent. Didn’t receive a reply. Double epic fail right there.
Since new gTLDs are in their infancy, some glitches are to be expected but still, that doesn’t change the fact that they tend to be quite annoying/frustrating.
If you guys have some “epic fail” moments to share, feel free to comment